Tuesday, February 28, 2012

History of PGP....Speedy Print the Early Days



Speedy Print....The Early Years
by Elwood Smith, Founder

During the early 1970's, before Xerox had even been invented yet; there were very few fax machines; no personal computers; no laptops; and no cell phones; I traveled across the state of Texas, making speeches. From time to time, I found it necessary to have handouts available that could be passed out to the audience. On one such occasion when I needed 200 copies available to pass out,  I headed over to a local printer in that area to have the copies made; only to be informed that their minimum order was 2000; and it would take two weeks to get it. Since I was traveling about 1000 miles per week, within a two week time period, I would've covered a lot of territory and would no longer be in that area nor would I still need those particular handouts.  Early in 1972 I happened to be in San Antonio for a meeting and came across a new business called "QUICK PRINTING". I went inside and asked for 200 copies and inquired as to how long it would take to fill my order. To my amazement, they said I could wait for it! Not only that, I was privileged to watch them do it and viola, in about 5 minutes it was printed, wrapped and I could pay a very competitive price for it. As I walked out the door, I remember thinking THIS IS THE FUTURE!

In March of 1972, my local church was needing a small, offset press. At that time, most church bulletins and printing were being done on an A.B. Dick Mimeograph Machine (very messy and time consuming). Since I traveled a great deal all over the state, my church asked if I could help them find a used, A.B. Dick Table-Top Offset Press. So the next time I was in Austin, I went by a used equipment store and found a used, table-top, offset press for the church. In addition, over in a corner of this store, there was a used, off-brand tabletop press and an electrostatic plate maker. I had never seen one before, but it looked fascinating, and it was cheap, so I bought the whole thing. I think the price was under $250.00!

I brought all my "finds" back home,delivered the offset press to the church and then rented a small room (approximately 12' x 12' at the old S.P.J.S.T. building); which became the first Speedy Print. I had a friend who worked for the local paper and had just lost his job so I figured he would be a perfect person to run this new business. I found that he didn't know anything about printing as he had worked in the office. So, I got the manuals out and started reading. In one weekend I learned how to make a plate, how to put the blade on the tabletop press and start printing. Then I taught my new employee how to do the same. In March of 1972, we opened our first Speedy Print. Luckily, it was an idea whose time had come as it was successful from day one! After about a month, my new partner (employee) decided he didn't like printing and quit (Without Notice). That boys and girls, is how I became a full-time, printing owner over night.


Elwood Smith, Founder




No comments:

Post a Comment